Skip to main content

When Students Reflect, We Are Affirmed, Inspired & Challenged

     As we are all aware, reflection is one of the most powerful aspects of learning - especially lifelong and transformational learning. When we are able to connect past and current experiences or knowledge to our overall life’s work and direction, it is both empowering and enlightening.

     Recently, I received a tremendous message via social media from a former student named Stephanie who is 10 years out of high school. She was thanking me for the learning experiences she had and how they have impacted her education, career and life.

     Naturally, it’s tremendously rewarding for educators to receive these types of messages, especially after time has lapsed. I have been very fortunate to have many of these great experiences with former students who are kind enough to contact me and share their reflections. I am blessed to have taught in very student voice and choice oriented environments such as high school journalism/media, students activities/leadership and small school principal.

     But even more important than the affirmation and ego stroking, there were two very significant thoughts for me as an educator. One, she was demonstrating that she was indeed a lifelong learner capable of powerful reflection. Two, she was able to articulate in very real and applicable terms what students need as students, what they’ll apply as graduates and what they’ll remember as adults.

     Naturally, I wrote Stephanie a very nice thank you for her kind words and for her taking the time to contact me. But I also want to thank her for reminding me, and hopefully others, why we do what we do. Here are a few of those reminders:

TRANSFORMATION

      One of Stephanie’s first observations or admissions was that while in high school she “was very shy, wasn’t fond of meeting new people or excited to participate in anything that required me to be in the spotlight.” Stephanie added that “a few of my teachers helped me get more comfortable being front and center, but it wasn’t until I took YOUR leadership class that I began to really break out of my comfort zone.”

     First of all, I appreciate Stephanie’s compliment and sentiment. But I’m also the first to admit that she’ giving me way too much credit. However, what she did remind me of is about one of the core foundations of teaching and education. And that is that education is supposed to transform. That’s right. It’s supposed to change people - and change in very dramatic and powerful ways. Ultimately it should empower us right? Students come to our classes, programs and schools - and they should leave different people. They should leave feeling far more empowered, enlightened and connected - i.e. transformed.

SKILLS

     Next Stephanie said, “You helped shape my character and discover leadership skills I never knew I had. Your class has taught me to think outside the box, see everyone for who they are, not what they are, and to be more compassionate. I was taught how to lead projects, speak to businesses as we asked for donations, and more importantly work as a team.”

     Stephanie articulated 10 years out that she was able to acquire new skills that indeed shaped her experiences, thinking and overall abilities. Her skills had been enhanced. Or maybe these skills were exposed. We often talk about 21st century competencies - the Four C’s and more. But what students need are relevant, significant and varied opportunities to acquire, apply and advance these skills. We talk about all of the skills students need, but what amazing testimonial it is when they reflect and tell you what they learned, what was significant and how things impacted them. There is a huge shift in education now where we are focused more on skills vs. content more than ever. Indeed, many of these skills are these soft skills that most experts agree are now integral to success for our students in the new global economy. But how will these students get and improve these skills? It will up to us to provide the repeated and relevant learning opportunities for all students to have the appropriate experiences to ignite and enhance these important skills.
APPLICATION

     I, like many of us, have often talked about what I learned in school and what I used throughout my real life. In many instances, there is direct link or connection. But there is also another side where much of what myself, and I can assume most of us, learned was never used or applied. That’s right. When we reflect upon our learning, what did we actually use in life or apply? It’s a gauge, or assessment if you will, that most of us are attracted to, but also not completely sure how to connect to the daily work of our profession.

     Stephanie wrote, “Taking your class has helped me so much in my career. After graduating, I used my skills to get more involved in the community. I was the youth group coordinator at my church for 7 years, program manager assistant for Fresno County Office of Education for their migrant summer schools and I taught 2nd grade for 2 years before relocating last year. No matter what age group I worked with, I incorporated so much of what I learned from your class to my curriculum. I was hoping to build future leaders and help students discover their very own leadership skill, just like you have helped me.

     What Stephanie’s words meant to me was that we had done in those leadership classes was able to be applied. Although it was maybe not viewed as academic as maybe math, science or other core subjects, it had passed my ultimate assessment. Students were able to apply what they learned, what skills they had acquired and what experiences they had to their real world lives and careers. They were able to make their daily professional and personal lives richer and more impactful. They were able to look at their individual situations through a broader lens. They were able to continually ask relevant and significant questions, while providing many diverse and creative solutions. Their learning had meaning because they were using it - applying it to their lives.
     Thank you again Stephanie for the tremendously kind words. Thank you for sharing your 10-year reflective journey and inspiring me to continue to reflect. Students learn, but educators learn too right? If both students and educators are on journeys of lifelong learning, then we can call what we do a success. Transformation, Skills and Application - thank you Stephanie. I am honored to have worked with you.

(photos courtesy of Buchanan High School Leadership Classes)

Comments

  1. Mike,

    Powerful interaction with a former student. The purpose of our work is to empower others so they may transform themselves and our world. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evolutionary Education - 5 Things That Could Be Extinct Soon

     It has often been uttered, that “only the fittest survive.” But when it comes to education, it seems things that might not even be that fit have continued to survive. However, just like in living species through time - dinosaurs, saber tooth tigers and the wooly mammoth just to name a few - even things that have lived on for a long time eventually go extinct. So, with that in mind, it seems educational evolution is occurring too and extinction might be inevitable for a variety of standard educational pedagogy, tools and practices. HERE ARE MY FIVE THINGS THAT COULD BE EXTINCT SOON:  Textbooks/Single Source Curriculum: (this includes ebook textbooks too). Regardless of whether they are digital or not, depending on and surviving on one text as the foundational source of information and context - regardless of course, age group and purpose - seems almost prehistoric at this point. Information changes daily and resources are born every minute on line. Anyone doing serious academ

21st Century High School Student Bill of Rights

     Since I began teaching in 1990, I have repeatedly heard the term “reform” with regards to our educational system. And as someone who has always believed in and practiced teaching that worked to be real world, relevant and student-oriented, I can still get excited about the “possibilities” of real change. However, even with all of the classrooms, schools and some systems that have embraced new standards, new technology, project-based approaches, democratization/student voice and more, it’s almost appalling how little has changed in many of our nation’s high school classrooms. They are still dominated by outdated pedagogies, resources, activities and learning environments. Many still live and die by the lecture, low level note taking, and low level quizzes and assessments, as well as teacher/administrator mindsets not in line with anything related to 21st century workplaces or careers.       This lack of overall progress has lead me to be more anxious, adamant and even angry about

Lead Like A Punk Rocker

(Inspired by and dedicated to #LeadWild, David Theriault, David Culberhouse, Jon Corippo, Dr. Brad Gustafson, Tom Whitford, Ken Durham, The Ramones, Bad Religion, The Clash, X and many others.) "PUNK IS: the personal expression of uniqueness that comes from the experiences of growing up in touch with our human ability to reason and ask questions.” - Greg Graffin, Bad Religion “The thread of culture that runs through the entire history of punk is also a dedication to challenging the authoritarian.” - Greg Graffin, Bad Religion      You can’t peruse social media, even for a minute, without coming across another book, blog post or quote about LEADERSHIP. But, here I go anyway. Leadership, and leadership theory, are applicable to all industries, endeavors and human interactions. And no doubt that leadership, and our leaders, are going through major transformations as our entire global society questions traditional approaches and yearns for more meaningful and empowering ones.